9.07.2009

So Long, Summer

So I know it's Labor Day, the day that officially puts the kibosh on summer, and I suppose that's just fine by me (I like sweaters, boots, cider and squash just as much as the next person, you see), but can someone please explain to me why, when I stopped in my local drugstore this weekend, I was met not by your usual September stock of back-to-school Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers notebooks and pencils and pens, but rather by a hoard of witches hats and plastic orange pumpkins and shelves upon shelves of Halloween candy?

...Halloween candy! On September seventh! I mean, I'm not usually one to turn down a peanut butter cup (pumpkin-shaped or otherwise), but come on! Halloween candy on Labor Day is just downright ridiculous. Honestly, what's the big rush? These days it seems like we only get about a week of real fall weather anyway (thanks, global warming), so why try and whisk us all into an orange and black, pointy-hatted, chocolate-stained frenzy during the first week of September?

Just simmer down there, people. Slo-o-o-wly eat the last of your fragrant yellow peaches and juicy heirloom tomatoes - there's really no need to hurry. Savor the last few bites of summer, because pretty soon, it's on to buttery squash and sweet, tart apples and, apparently, miniature Snickers bars shaped like ghosts. Which, incidentally, are delicious. For now, though, I think I'll take my sweet time saying so long to a wonderful summer.










Goodbye, summer! Thanks for everything. See you in a few.

3 comments:

  1. I heard rumours that some stores have Christmas decorations out. THAT is just sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we still drink skinny girl margaritas in the fall?

    ReplyDelete