3.12.2009

Many Happy Returns

I've heard that "birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake." I happen to like this idea. However, on this particular day, March 13th, Gramma Lynn's birthday, I think a more appropriate phrase is: birthdays are nature's way of telling us to drink more vodka.

I mean that in the absolut best way possible. (...Sorry, couldn't resist.)

In all honesty, my Gramma Lynn is the coolest, toughest, classiest broad I know. I've known her for about 24.5 years now, and I just think she's the best. When I was a kid, she used to let me play with her tubes of pink lipstick and eat all the Haagen-Dazs I wanted. She grows her own tomatoes and zucchini, and she can tell you the name of pretty much any flower that grows. She and I share a love for fresh Montauk marlin dip, old movies, PopPop, and Hugh Jackman. She reads the New York Times every day and sometimes sends me interesting articles along with notes in the loopiest, slantiest, prettiest handwriting. She's effortlessly beautiful, like one of those 1940's bombshells, and her signature 5pm drink is just plain admirable: vodka on the rocks with a twist, and a separate glass of ice.

I may be biased, but Grams, I think you're dynamite. And today is your birthday! So do it up, girl - you deserve it. I love you!


See? I wasn't kidding. Gorgeous. ("Goh-juss.")


Vodka on the Rocks with a Twist (and a Separate Glass of Ice)

Warning: this drink is not for the faint of heart. It helps if your ancestors came from Russia. Enjoy this bold libation while you listen to Frank Sinatra and watch the Montauk sunset.

Ingredients:
  • Ketel One Vodka (make sure to call it "wudka")
  • Splash of club soda
  • One thick orange wedge
  • Lots of ice
Directions:

Fill a rocks glass until it's brimming with ice. Squeeze the orange wedge over the ice, and drop the wedge into the glass. Fill the glass 3/4 of the way with vodka. Add a quick splash of club soda. Drink slowly, replenishing the ice as necessary.

Disclaimer: I know that this technically isn't vodka with a twist, since it uses a full orange wedge instead of just the peel. It's just the Gramma way. Tomato Tomahto.

Serves 1.

1 comment:

  1. I've been Olve-juiced. It brought happy tears of nostalgia. Best Lynn's B'day yet| Good luck in all endeavors. Love, Great Aunt Joyce.

    ReplyDelete